Monday, April 16, 2007

Coming soon to a Kitchen near you!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


SD has informed me that the regional cuisine of Brmnghm, UK is highly underrated. He has declared that the astonishing dish cleverly named "mushy peas" is a Very Good Thing, Indeed. I am sure I will be experimenting with recipes before long, using his tastebuds as a judge and jury. Posts on the subject will be forthcoming.

Every region has it's cuisine. I posted a bit ago about country ham and biscuits with red eye gravy. Others around here are fried green tomatoes (trust me, properly made they are DeelishUS!), fried okra (mmm), and deep fried chitlins. Not so mm there. I think you have to be raised on them to truly appreciate them.Pretty much, if it's any good, it's either fried or made into a cobbler here.

What's your regional favorite?

10 comments:

Northern_Girl said...

Coming from a very german background, I'd have to say the regional favorites here are fleischkuekle, knoephla soup...and tho I'm not sure it's german...fried dough gobs sprinkled in cinamon and shugah. :) Is it any wonder I wear the size I do!?! (Don't answer that.)

Not to overlook the norsky influence - lefse...and lutefisk (not anything I would consider a favorite, but it is a regional thing.)

And something that borders on politically incorrect - Indian Tacos. I have no idea why they are called that, but damn, they are delish.

Rootietoot said...

what's the difference between Indian tacos, fish tacos and you know...tacos?

Sweet Daddio said...

Ha! I asked what the best brand of canned Mushy Peas was and the universal response was ... Bachelors! I'm bringing home 2 cans just like the picture.

Attila the Mom said...

Amazingly enough, Rocky Mountain Oysters, when breaded and deep fried, aren't really that bad! As long as you don't think about what you're eating. ;-)

Rootietoot said...

attila: EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW

lab munkay said...

Potain (Poostin)- It is a Canadian thing. Home made french fries, deep fried in lard, covered in a spicey brown gravy and topped with fresh cheese curds. Yum. I made to google mushy peas to see where I could get some.

Rootietoot said...

LM- I've heard of potain, but have yet to get an adequate description of just what a cheese curd is. Is it crumbled cheddar? fresh mozzerella balls like you get at the olive bar? Is it like huge chunks of cottage cheese? You're a chef, 'splain this to me so I'll understand.

belledame222 said...

NOOOOOOOOO

*gah*

my best friend is Irish and he has served me the mushy peas

i don't want to talk about it

belledame222 said...

poutine: if you ever run across a poster called mandos (most often seen around the fringes of feminist flamewars, waiting for me or someone to say something amusingly scathing), ask him about poutine. he is to poutine more or less what Tom Nolan is to heavy English puddings, albeit snarkier, because...he is.

lab munkay said...

Left over cheese from a batch that is not pressed into a form. Cheese lumps if you will that feels like fresh moz. but has more flavor. Founf in or near dairy state-I live min from Wis. A very good time in cheese form