Saturday, April 7, 2007

Once A Month Cooking

This is contributed by JerseyChick, excruciatingly busy mother of 3. I can testify to the tastiness of the recipes, because I did it before #4 was born, to have homecooked meals whilst juggling a newborn and 3 preteens. I'm pretty sure if you ask nicely she'll share.

Here is a culinary adventure: Make 28 entrees in one day. Put most of them in gallon freezer bags (5 went in casserole dishes) and every night for the rest of the month, all you have to prepare is the pasta/rice/couscous/starchy and green veggy sidedishes. 20 minutes, tops.My sister-in-law gave me the book 6 or 7 years ago. We did it for 2 years, took time off, and have done it sporadically over the past year. Amazingly, they do fit in a normal top freezer. Side freezers probably take more coordinating. The variety is great- want Chinese tonight? Indian? Mexican? BBQ? Beef? Fish? Chicken? Vegetarian? Low fat? It's all in there.Yesterday was chopping veggies, cooking and dicing chicken, frying ground turkey, and shredding cheese. Today was assembling the dishes. The girls helped a bit, we dirtied and washed every mixing bowl in the house (twice), and voila! Done in 6 hours. I bribed Mr. Wonderful to clean the kitchen with extra egg rolls.$225 got me all our dinners and sides for a month. Mr. Wonderful likes every one of the entrees. Yeah, it's weird, but it works for us.

2 comments:

ELIZABETH said...

I've never done anything on that scale but I always make a large pot of sauce and freeze enough for 4 more meals of spaghetti.

The "mom dinner"..mac and cheese..leftovers get frozen in single servings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! We do the spagheeti sauce thing, too, since we grow tomatoes. Good for you!
We also get the 5 lb roll of ground beef when it's on sale, cut it into 1 lb sections, and freeze them in sandwhich bags.
For us, OAM makes enough for Mr. Wonderful to take the leftover portion in next day's lunch.

We've also experimented with cutting the amount of meat in half (the recipes are still pretty satisfying that way!) and doubling the cheese (during my second pregnancy, I craved it).